The history of the arch began in the 17th century with an increase in the number of nuns living in the city of Santiago de los Caballeros (today know as La Antigua). The increase in nuns overflowed the capacity at the Convento de Concepcion – which was the first and only convent at time in the Kingdom of Guatemala.
This meant the more space was needed, so another location was sought. The City Government awarded a space two blocks north of the central park as a home for the new Convent of Santa Catalina Mártir.
Construction of the arch began in 1693, and when it was completed a year later. The arch it has always been painted yellow beacuse od the colors religious significance.
We are so lucky to be in near of the ¡The Arch of Antigua!